Many of you have heard about the awesome-looking bionic rex skin that is only available for Xbox one players of ARK: Survival Evolved. The skin is not given upon buying the game, like the Parasaur founding father skin on PC. Instead, you need to earn the skin by playing the game. Currently the exact way in which you can earn it is unknown (Update: Not anymore, scroll down to the “How to get the skin yourself” section to see how you can obtain it!) , and therefore Wildcard had created a contest. The contest was about the first person to get the skin on an official PvP server on Xbox and tweet about it. The price you could win? 200 dollars!
On the 30th of December, just two weeks after the game was released on Xbox, a tweet with a screenshot of the bionic rex skin was send to Wildcard. This meant the end of the contest, but not of the secret surrounding the way in which the skin can be retrieved. The person that won the contest is currently not telling the way in which he (or his tribe) got the skin, so people are still looking into the actual requirements. The devs have stated that you “need to collect things” and that it “is hidden dark and deep“. Another hint we were able to find was that it appeared to be “obvious”.
@RadoxXGaming was obvious
— Fusion LE (@Fusion_V7) December 30, 2015
How to get the skin yourself?
Currently, we do not know the exact requirements for the skin. However, there are some ways that people expect to give you the skin:
You can get the Bionic Rex skin yourself in the following way:
- Collect all dossiers– it seems that you need to collect all dossiers on xbox one to get the Bionic rex skin. This means that you need to tame all the creatures that are tameable, and kill the ones that are not (kill them yourself to get the dossier, so not with your dinos). In order to find out which dossiers you still need, and the way to get them, you can check out our post on the Survivor Profile.
When you’ve got all the dossiers, you will get the Bionic Rex skin (together with a Survivor’s Trophy and Survivor’s Hat from the Broodmother). A little fun fact: when you die and respawn, you will receive another Bionic Rex skin. This means you can get multiple skins by respawning and saving them in a storage box or on your dinos.
A bit of advice: if you still need to tame some creautures to get the dossiers, but you don’t have any use for them, go for low level ones. You can use our taming calculator to guide you in the amount of resources and time you will need.
- Kill the Broodmother – This is by far the most popular speculated way in which you can get the skin. The idea is that you will have to get all the artifacts, spawn the Broodmother and will receive the skin upon killing her. This sounds as a plausible way, since it took 14 days to get the first bionic rex skin. However, since the way to obtain the skin was “obvious” and not hard, according to the tweet, don’t put 100% on killing the Broodmother for the skin.Multiple people report that they did not get the skin after killing the Broodmother, so it seems this is not the way to get it.
- Collect items – There is also the possibility that you need to collect certain items or combine them someone. The devs have stated that you “need to collect things” and that it “is hidden dark and deep“. If anyone has any insights in the items that need to be collected, or where you need to put them, we’re happy to hear about it.
- Red supply drops – Another way to possibly get the skin would be supply drops. The idea behind it is that the red drops (which can be opened at level 60+) can contain the skin. This applies for both the supply drops in caves as those on the Island.
- Killing Rexes – Some people also say that it will be just like the Rex helmet skin: kill a rex and you will have a small chance to obtain it. We don’t really think this is the way to get the skin, but since it might be a very slim chance it is very difficult to stop considering this as an option.
- Killing alpha Rexes – There are claims that alpha rexes will drop the skin with a very slim chance, so keep an eye out for them and go on a killing spree to know for sure.
In case you have any other possible ways to get the skin, please let us know and we will add them to the list. If you have tried one of the stated ways in which you could possibly get the skin, but it didn’t gave you one, we are happy to hear about it so we can remove it from the list. That way people will not be wrongly informed and can focus on other ways to get it. Together we will be able to find out how to obtain it so everyone can enjoy the skin.
In case you have actually found the Bionic Rex skin yourself (even if it is on PvE or an unoffical server), we would gladly know how you obtained it! You can contact us by leaving a comment beneath this post, or by using the contact form.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since there have been multiple questions about the Bionic Rex skin, we will list the most frequent ones
How do I get the Bionic Rex skin?
We’ve stated the procedure above, but in short it is getting all the dossiers in your survivor profile.
Can I trade the Bionic Rex skin?
Yes, this is possible. However it might not work directly (e.g. dropping the skin itself). Instead, you could apply it to a saddle and then drop the saddle with the skin applied.
Will I lose the skin when I change servers?
No, the skin is registered on your account. This means that no matter where you go, even if it is another server or unofficial server, the game will recognize it is you and give you the skin, trophy and hat upon spawning.
Can I get the skin on single player and use it on official servers?
This is actually possible do to. So you could go around your single player game with increased tame rates and kill / tame everything you need to complete your survivor profile and get the skin. If you then go to an official, or unoffical, server, you will receive the skin again upon spawning.
Can I get multiple skins?
Yes, every time you respawn you will receive a new one. So if you have multiple rexes, you can apply the skin to one, respawn, and get another one for one of the other rexes.
Does the order of the dossiers matter?
No. As long as you have completed all dossiers in the end, you will get the skin. This means that you don’t have to kill the Broodmother as the last creature.
Thanks to everyone that participated in finding out how to get the skin!